Urgent Care Plan

Emergency/Urgent Care Plan

The following course of action is a guide to assist someone needing medical attention. Emergency Care Plan
An emergency situation is life threatening and calls for immediate intervention by medical personnel.  Situations which warrant immediate intervention:

  • Absence/ impaired respirations
  • Absence of pulse
  • Bleeding - uncontrolled
  • Pain, altered alignment or inability to move a body part
  • Persistent chest  pain/ pressure, sweating, nausea, vomiting or shortness of breath
  • Poisoning
  • Seizures
  • Severe burn
  • Sudden numbness/weakness of face, arm or leg - especially on one side of body
  • Sudden severe headache, confusion, difficulty speaking/understanding, slurred speech, visual changes, dizziness, difficulty in walking or loss of balance/coordination
  • Unconsciousness/altered level of consciousness  
  • Vomiting blood

Course of Action

  • Call 911
    • Cell phone (911):  will connect you with Emergency Medical Services.   Inform the operator of the nature of the emergency, the exact location of the person(s) in need of medical care, your name and don't hang up until advised it is all right to do so.  If possible, have someone contact campus security (563-333-6104) to report that 911 was called with the location of the emergency so an officer can meet/direct paramedics to the person(s) in need of assistance.
    • Land-based phone (9-911):  will automatically ring into campus security.  Inform the officer of the nature of the emergency, the exact location of the person in need of assistance, your name and extension and don't hang up until advised it is all right to do so.  Tell the officer to call 911.  The officer will provide the information to the 911 operator and meet/direct paramedics to the person(s) in need of medical care.
  • Administer first aid or CPR if indicated, you are certified and medical personnel are not available.
  • Call Student Health Services (563-333-6423) to report emergency.  The Director will follow up with the patient and family.
  • Report the emergency and actions taken to the supervisor or appropriate person in the department who will complete an injury report and send it to Student Health Services.  The injury report is located here.
  • Collect patient's personal belongings for safekeeping.
  • The Poison Control Center can be reached at 1-800-222-1222 at all times or by contacting the nearest emergency room.
  • Student Affairs' staff and/or hospital personnel will notify patient's family of injury with course of action.

Urgent Care Plan
An urgent situation is not life threatening, but does require some immediate attention.  Examples of urgent care situations are:

  • Blood present in vomit, urine or feces
  • Laceration/ puncture wound
  • Minor burns
  • Pain, swelling, discoloration, altered sensation/movement of body part
  • Persistent abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Presence of foreign body
  • Other situations where there is concern or confusion as to the level of care indicated

Course of Action

  • Call Student Health Service (563-333-6423) to report situation and if able, send the individual(s) to Student Health Services for medical assistance.
  • If the Director of Student Health Services is unavailable or the office is closed, call Security for assistance.  Security can be reached at 563-333-6104.
  • Students can contact their health care provider or access medical services at local health care providers.  A list of local health care resources is available here.
  • Any employee who is injured at work will notify their supervisor, be treated under worker compensation and referred to Genesis Occupational Health by Human Resources.  
  • Report the injury with actions taken to the supervisor who will complete an injury report and send to Student Health Services. Injury reports are available at the link identified above.

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? Click on the visit button below to learn more about our virtual and in-person visit options.