Preparing for College

The purpose of this checklist is to help students plan ahead and come to campus not only with what is required by university policy, but also with items needed to avoid or help in case of illness and injury.

Please review this information and bring the following items with you.

Health Form

A properly completed Health Form (pdf) is required and should be provided to Student Health Services prior to beginning courses.

The health form provides the office with a student's demographic information; medical history; physical exam; health insurance information; and dates of immunizations. This information is confidential and will not be released without the student's permission. Permission to share information will be requested in particular for student athletes and those students in a program of study requiring a clinical rotation or other practicum experience. Additional physicals and other tests or immunizations will likely be required.


The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American College Health Association (ACHA) recommend the following vaccinations. All students should review the immunization requirements on page 1 of the health form

  • MMR (measles, mumps and rubella): Two doses at least 28 days after 12 months old.
  • Varicella (chickenpox): Two doses, history of disease, or laboratory proof of immunity (blood titer)
  • Hepatitis B: Series of three doses or blood test to confirm immunity
  • Tetanus (Td or Tdap): Booster at 11-12 years of age and Td booster every 10 years
  • Meningococcal Quadrivalent (A, C, W, Y) vaccine: Required OR student must complete the Declination of Meningitis Immunization on page 6 of the Health Form.
  • Serogroup B Meningococcal vaccine
  • TB (Tuberculosis) Screening: All students must complete the TB screening questionnaire on page 4 of the Health Form. Students are required to be tested for TB if they major in the health sciences and will have clinical rotations or practicums; come from countries with a high incidence of active TB; or display symptoms of illness.

Health Insurance and Health Insurance Card

Review your health insurance policy so that you understand your coverage, co-payments, and prescription plan. Check with your health insurance provider to verify coverage for "out of area" non-emergencies. Keep a personal health insurance card in your wallet and make a copy to add to the health form in the event you lose or misplace it.

Personal Health Supplies

Bring face masks, disinfectant wipes/sprays, and hand sanitizer. Your first aid kit should contain Band-Aids, disposable gloves, an ice pack, antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, alcohol pads, thermometer, a small flashlight, over-the-counter medications for pain/fever/allergies/cold/coughs, throat lozenges, and an EpiPen (if indicated for severe allergies). Refill as needed.

We recommend keeping bottled water, sport drinks, and non-perishable foods in your room in the event of an illness and you're unable to leave.

Humidifier and Heating Pad

Consider bringing these items to campus. Humidifiers provide moisture in dry residence hall rooms and provide relief from sore throat, sinus and chest congestion. Heating pads are helpful to students who have a history of a medical condition and use them to provide relief from discomfort.

Prescription Medications

All medications brought to campus should be documented on your health form. Bring a month's supply of any ongoing medication which can be kept in your room. Plan ahead and bring a refill prescription with you from your health care provider. There are two pharmacies within walking distance from campus.

Special Needs

For special needs, or if you have any questions, please email Nancy Hines, MS, BSN, RN or call 563-333-6423.

Residence Life

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? Click on the visit button below to learn more about our virtual and in-person visit options.