This is a spring season unlike any other. COVID caused the restructuring of schedules and athletic seasons, resulting in 25 of the 29 sports currently practicing or competing this semester!
What does this mean? Last week alone, the Athletics Department hosted 14 events, approximately triple the numbers seen in a normal year!
Here are some of the highlights from the Fighting Bee teams:
- Football started their season in February, but frigid temperature have caused some game cancellations.
- SAU has hosted 5 indoor track meets and will host the CCAC Championships this weekend.
- The Cheer and Dance teams competed virtually over the weekend, which included performing live and judged via teleconferencing system.
- At the Mid-States Tournament, men's bowling took 2nd out of 17 and women's bowling finished 8th of 15.
- Men's and women's basketball are gearing up for the conference tournament, and men's and women's volleyball just started conference play.
- Practice started for all lacrosse, soccer, swimming and diving teams, as well as baseball and softball. Competitions for many of them begin this week!
To add to the excitement, the university will host not one, but two National Championships this year! The 2021 Competitive Cheer & Dance National Championships are slated for mid-March (no spectators are allowed so cheer on the Bees via the live stream)! In May, the NAIA Golf National Championship will take place at TPC Deere Run. And by this time next year, Wrestling and Winter Color Guard will also be competing.
There's a lot going on, but the Bees miss hearing the cheers of their fans. Offer your support virtually through live-stream this year! Almost all of the home events are live-streamed, as well as many of the away ones. Check out saubees.com for these details, as well as schedules and recaps. Go Bees!