Protecting our student's information is important and required by federal law. Scroll down for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Athletic Eligibility.

Tuition Refund Policy

Privacy Policy Admissions and Aid

Academic Integrity Policies

Academic Integrity

In accordance with its mission to enable "students to develop intellectually, spiritually, ethically, socially, artistically, and physically to enrich their own lives and the lives of others," the university seeks to "teach, learn, and work in a climate of mutual respect, honesty, and integrity where excellence and academic freedom are cherished."

All members of the community are called upon to uphold the standards of academic integrity and to avoid academic dishonesty of any kind. By accepting employment at the university or by accepting admission to St. Ambrose; faculty, staff, and students affirm and support the principle of honesty in their endeavors on behalf of the institution. Each member of the St. Ambrose community is responsible for acting with integrity.

Forms of Academic Misconduct

Academic misconduct is any attempt to gain unearned advantage involving coursework or records. Forms of misconduct include, but are not limited to the following:

Plagiarism is the intentional or unintentional use of another's words or ideas without crediting the source.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Receiving credit on group assignments without contributing fairly.
  • Submitting another's paper or assignment, in whole or in part, as if it were your own.
  • Using exact phrases, sentences, or paragraphs from a source without quotation marks and/or proper citation.
  • Paraphrasing another's work or using information (verbal or visual), opinions, or concepts from a source without proper citation or acknowledgment.
  • Borrowing phrases from a source without using quotation marks, substituting synonyms for the author's language while keeping to the same general language framework and meaning as found in the original.

Falsification or Fabrication
Falsification or fabrication is intentionally altering or creating data in an academic exercise or record.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Inventing research or lab results.
  • Counterfeiting a record of a practicum experience.
  • Sabotaging another student's work such as a lab report.
  • Fabricating an excuse (e.g., an illness or accident) to justify a delay in submission of an exam or assignment.
  • Inventing a citation, altering a grade on an assignment or academic record, unauthorized altering of a returned test or paper before seeking regrading, or impersonating another student.

Unauthorized Assistance
Unauthorized assistance is the use of any source of information not authorized by the instructor.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Collaboration on completing assignments or tests without the authorization of the instructor or outside the limits designated by the instructor.
  • Allowing another, such as a tutor or fellow student, to complete or significantly revise a paper or assignment.
  • Using materials such as textbooks, notes, or formula lists during a test without the professor's permission.
  • Copying from another student's test or homework and/or allowing another student to copy from your test or homework.

Complicity is assisting another person in committing an act of academic dishonesty.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Writing or procuring an assignment for another student.
  • Taking an exam for another student.
  • Changing an academic record for another student.
  • Supplying another student or students with unauthorized copies of an exam, or exam questions or answers, or lying to students, faculty or administration on behalf of another student.

Improper Use of Technology
Improper Use of Technology is the dishonest or deceptive use of any technological device such as a computer, smart phone, or tablet to receive or attempt to receive or aid another to receive credit for academic work or any improvement in evaluation of academic performance.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Using a device such as a computer, smart phone, smart watch, or tablet to store or receive answers to assignments or tests.
  • Having someone else log-in as you to complete an online assignment or exam.
  • Logging-in as someone else to complete an online assignment or exam.

Abuse of Academic Materials
Abuse of academic materials is intentionally destroying, stealing, or making such materials inaccessible.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Hiding or removing library resources so other students do not have access to them.
  • Destroying files or other materials needed in academic work.
  • Stealing notes, assignments or exams from students or instructors.
  • Infecting university computers with malware or viruses.

Multiple Submission
Multiple submission is the use of the same work in more than one course without prior permission of the instructor.

Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Submitting the same paper, assignment or presentation, in whole or in part, to satisfy course requirements in more than one class.

Approved by the SAU Educational Policies Committee 3/6/18

Procedures for Alleged Misconduct

An instructor who has evidence or suspects an act of academic misconduct has taken place is responsible for acting in accordance with the St. Ambrose University Academic Integrity Policy. In addition, others, including students, who have reason to believe a violation has taken place, should notify the instructor verbally or in writing. The names of those supplying information other than the instructor will be held in confidence.

The following steps will be taken by the instructor:

  • An instructor will discuss the allegation with the student and determine an appropriate sanction for the course, if deemed necessary.
  • Depending on the severity of the violation (see "Potential Consequences of Academic Misconduct"), the instructor, will send a completed incident report with any supporting documentation to the Registrar.

Academic Integrity Incident Report Form

The incident report will be reviewed by the Board of Studies Chair. In the case of violations that are not considered to be severe (see Potential Consequences of Academic Misconduct), a violation letter will be sent to the student and they will be asked to meet with the Director of Reading and Study Skills. The student may either accept the action or may request a formal hearing before the Board of Studies committee.

In the event of a repeat violation or if the Board of Studies Chair suspects organized cheating or severe acts of academic dishonesty, the investigation will be pursued by the Board of Studies committee. The Registrar will notify the student(s) of the specific allegations of academic misconduct and when a formal hearing with the committee will occur. The Board of Studies committee will determine which additional sanctions will be enforced (see Potential Consequences of Academic Misconduct); its ruling may be appealed to the Vice
President of Academic and Student Affairs.

All incident reports of academic misconduct will be reported and kept on file in the Office of the Registrar.

Potential Consequences of Academic Misconduct

All cases of academic misconduct (or suspected academic misconduct) will result in a meeting between the instructor and the student where the instructor will explain to the student how the observed behavior might be a violation of the University's Academic Integrity Policy and give the student an opportunity to provide an explanation. At this meeting, the instructor will also explain what behaviors were expected and appropriate for that assignment, and how the student's behavior violated these expected behaviors. Potential consequences for academic misconduct are at the discretion of the instructor and will depend on the severity of the violation.

Consequences for a minor violation might include: having the student redo an assignment or giving the student a reduced grade for an assignment (potentially including "F" or zero).

Examples of minor violations include but are not limited to:

  • Paraphrasing another's work without proper citation in parts of a written assignment.
  • Allowing another student to significantly revise a paper or assignment (without authorization from the instructor).
  • Fabricating an excuse to justify a delay in submission of an assignment.
  • Receiving credit on a group assignment without contributing fairly.

In these cases, after hearing the student's explanation, an instructor might decide that this violation does not warrant the submission of an incident report to the Office of the Registrar.

Consequences for a major violation might include: giving the student a grade of "F" or zero on the assignment or exam, or giving the student a grade of "F" for the entire course. If the instructor determines that a major violation has occurred, the instructor will also submit an incident report, including any documentation and the action taken to the Office of the Registrar (see Procedures for Alleged Academic Misconduct).

Examples of major violations include, but are not limited to:

  • Copying from another student's test.
  • Using a smart phone to receive answers to a test.
  • Submitting another's paper or assignment, in whole or in part, as if it were your own.
  • Inventing results for a lab report.

Cases of severe or repeated violations will automatically be evaluated by the Board of Studies committee (see Procedures for Alleged Academic Misconduct) and may result in loss of academic honors, probation, suspension or expulsion. A student's grade can be changed, even after a course has been completed.

Examples of severe violations that would be considered by the Board of Studies include, but are not limited to:

  • Distributing stolen exams.
  • Selling papers to other students.
  • Downloading entire papers from the internet.

Additional Policies

Academic Records Retention

The Office of the Registrar maintains academic records for students past, present, and future through the following methods: computer system, scanned images, microfilm/microfiche, and limited paper.

The length of retention of these records is based on AACRAO recommendations.

Records are disposed after the retention period unless otherwise noted.

Academic Action Letters (probation, dismissals)
Retention: 5 years after graduation or date of last semester attended

Academic Transcripts
Retention: Permanent
Kept as scanned/microfilm

Advanced Placement, CLEP, ACE transcripts
Retention: 5 years after graduation or date of last semester attended

Retention: Permanent (if possible)
Kept as a hard (paper) copy

Graduation Application/Audit
Retention: 5 years after graduation or date of last semester attended

Grade rosters/sheets
Retention: Permanent
Kept as microfilm

Graduation List
Retention: Permanent
Kept as microfilm

Military Documents
Retention: 5 years after graduation or date of last semester attended

Privacy Restriction/Release
Retention: 5 years after graduation or date of last semester attended

Registration Forms
Retention: Permanent
Kept as microfilm

Transcript Requests
Retention: 1 year after last semester attended

Withdrawal Form
Retention: 1 year after last semester attended

Administrative Drop

In order to capture accurate class enrollments, proper placement, and to ensure smooth financial aid processing, the following administrative drop procedure is recommended.

Instructors may initiate an administrative drop of a student based on the following circumstances:

  • For a traditional course, the student has not attended class during the first seven calendar days of the class and has not made successful contact with the instructor to explain the absence.
  • Students enrolled in technology-delivered courses are subject to the same attendance policy. The student is required to log into Blackboard during the first seven calendar days of the class and participate in any classroom-based activities as instructed to validate active enrollment.
  • The student has not met course prerequisites, co-requisites, or registration restrictions. If a student has multiple absences from a class after the time period noted above the instructor should notify the Early Alert Council. The focus of this Council is early detection and outreach to students who may be having difficulty or at-risk in some way.

Administrative Drop Procedure

  • An instructor or department chair who chooses to initiate administrative drops must contact the Office of the Registrar notifying the office of the class and students not attending or not meeting course requirements. The instructor will complete the Administrative drop form found on the Registrar's website.
  • An email from the Office of the Registrar will be sent to the student as notification that they have been administratively dropped from the course. A copy of the communication will be sent to the instructor and department chair of the Undergraduate Program as well as the student's advisor of record.
  • If the student believes this action to be in error or that extenuating circumstances exist, they may appeal to the instructor and/or department chair.

These drop actions are made without the assignment of a letter grade. Students should not assume that they have been dropped automatically from a course because they have not attended. It is the responsibility of the student to meet financial aid requirements and follow university guidelines concerning other obligations that may be affected by the drop.

Click here for the Administrative Drop form.

Athletic Eligibility

National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
Students who plan to participate in NAIA sports must register with the NAIA Eligibility Center to have their eligibility determined.

St. Ambrose University Eligibility Policy
Below is the eligibility policy as set forth by the Athletic Board of St. Ambrose University.
For the purpose of insuring proper academic focus and success within the athletic program, the following participation parameter is placed upon all student athletes over and above the minimum standards of the national organization with which the University is affiliated.

1. Any athlete admitted with a high school or transfer GPA of less than 2.00 will not be allowed to participate until they have achieved a 2.00 GPA.
2. The student-athlete will maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in order to participate in game competition.
3. Freshman athletes that achieve a 1.75 to 1.99 GPA at the completion of their first semester at St. Ambrose University must sign a learning contract with the Student Success Center. Such student will be allowed one semester to achieve a cumulative 2.00 GPA and may participate in sports during that semester.
4. The second semester that a student-athlete would fall below the minimum GPA required for participation would place that student in jeopardy of losing his/her athletic scholarship aid, if any is involved.
5. Failure to achieve a 2.00 GPA in consecutive semesters will result in a loss of eligibility unless an appeal is approved by a committee of the Athletic Board.
6. The Athletic Board will serve as a Board of Appeal for the exceptional cases that bear unusual circumstances or hardship. Such a case may be sponsored by the Athletic Director, Coach, or individual student.

12 Hour Course Load: Please also remember a student-athlete needs to be carrying at least 12 hours a semester in order to be eligible for play. If they drop below this course load, they are no longer eligible for play. Should they continue to participate in their sport, then their team is also no longer eligible for tournament play and they forfeit all games won while the player was ineligible.

Change of Registration

Students who wish to change their registration must do so officially on the Official Change of Registration form found online at the Office of the Registrar Portal website.

Classes can be added/dropped on Student Planning prior to the start of the term. It is the student's responsibility to complete the Add/Drop/Change of Registration form, obtain signatures of the instructors involved and the academic advisor, and return the form to the Office of the Registrar. Online forms to Add a Course and Drop a Course also are available.

During a 16-week academic semester, if a course is dropped before the end of the second week of class, no grade is officially recorded.

If a course is dropped between the end of the 2nd week and the end of the 12th week, the grade of W (Withdrawal) is officially recorded.

During accelerated and shorter summer academic sessions, which are fewer than 16 weeks, the time periods are pro-rated for withdrawal.

Chosen Name/Preferred Name

Approved by Cabinet Oct. 19, 2017

St. Ambrose University is an independent, comprehensive, and Catholic diocesan university firmly grounded in the liberal arts and Catholic identity and values. In accordance with our core values, we believe in the inherent God-given dignity and worth of every person. As such, the University and its community strives to develop an understanding of human cultures, achievements, capabilities, and limitations to promote justice and peace and use our talents in service to others and the world. We welcome people from other countries and cultures to study, learn, and work at St. Ambrose.

Therefore, the University recognizes that as a community many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this chosen name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the University acknowledges that a "chosen name" can and should be used wherever possible in the course of University business and education.

It is the policy of the University that any student, active or retired faculty or staff member, or alumni may choose to identify themselves within the University's information system (Colleague) with a chosen name in addition to the person's legal name. It is further understood that the person's chosen name shall be used in as many University communications and reporting measures as possible, acknowledging the instances when the use of a legal name is required or the University's data enterprise system limits such use. The legal last name must be used in all circumstances. The individual is free to determine the chosen name he or she wants to be known by in the University's information systems.

However, inappropriate use of the chosen name policy (including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation or misrepresentation) may be cause for denying the request.

Who Can Set a Chosen Name?
Because chosen names are set using the University's data enterprise system (Colleague), only those individuals with access can set chosen names. As such, students must notify the Office of the Registrar of a chosen name by completing the Name Change form.

List of Instances Where "Chosen Name" Will Likely Be Used:
• Class rosters
• Advising rosters
• Student Planning Advising software
• BeeCard (school ID)
• Alumni communications
• Advancement communications
• Email addresses
• University mailings
• University press releases

Chosen Names FAQ

Can any member of the St. Ambrose community request a chosen name?
• Any student, active or retired faculty or staff member, or alumni may choose to identify themselves within the University's information system (Colleague) with a chosen name in addition to the person's legal name.

How do I set a chosen name?
• Students and Employees (both retired and active) may complete the Name Change form online.
• Alumni may complete the Name Change form on the Alumni webpage

Can I set my chosen name to whatever I want?
• Yes, but the University reserves the right to deny or remove a chosen name if it is used inappropriately or in a way that is not authentic or in the spirit of dignity and worth of the University's core values of diversity and integrity.

Can I use my chosen name for everything at the University?
• No. Your legal name will continue to be used in business processes that require use of the legal name, such as for financial aid, payroll records, contracts, and transcripts.

How do I correct or change my legal name for University systems?
• Please contact the Office of the Registrar at 563-333-6204 between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How do I put my chosen name on my BeeCard (ID)?
• Please visit the Bee Card Service Desk located in the Dean of Students Office 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How do I use my chosen name for my email address?
• Please contact the IT helpdesk at 563-333-6383 or submit a service desk ticket.

Conferring Degrees

St. Ambrose University confers degrees three times per year (winter, spring, summer). These dates can be found on the university's Academic Calendar.

All coursework and final exams must be completed by the end of the day on either winter/spring commencement or the summer conferring date. Any classwork not completed by those dates will result in the degree being posted in a later term.

Graduation candidates who have not completed all requirements will receive an email explaining why the degree could not be awarded.

Posting of Degrees
Posting of degrees begins on the Tuesday following the official date. Most degrees will be awarded by the third week following the official date with the exception of candidates who are transferring coursework from other college/universities. The date of the release of diplomas will be communicated with other graduation information.

Graduation FAQ
Q: I'm taking my final course at another school. How long do I have to get my transcript in and graduate on time?
A: It is recommended that you submit your transcript as soon as possible, preferably within one month of your graduation date. Your degree can not be awarded until your transcript from the other school is received.

Q: If I take a Winter Session course, can I still graduate in the December class?
A: No, not if the course is required for your degree. All requirements for a December graduation must be completed by the day of the graduation date.

Q: If I take a Summer Session course, can I still graduate in the May class?
A: No, not if the course is required for your degree. All requirements for a May graduation must be completed by the day of the graduation date.

Q: If I am graduating in July, may I walk in the May ceremony?
A: An undergraduate student can complete a petition to participate in the May ceremony with up to 6 credit hours pending prior to the graduation application deadline. Proof of summer registration of final requirements needed.

Q: My degree is posted, how do I order transcripts?
A: Students can request transcripts on the Transcript Request page.

Updated: July 2017

Credit Hour

The following credit hour policy was established by St. Ambrose University to guide the institution in its assignment and review of awarding credits as set forth by federal regulations. (Federal Register, Vol. 75, No. 209, p. 66486)

Federal Definition of the Credit Hour
For purposes of the application of this policy and in accordance with federal regulations, a credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates:

1. Not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time, or

2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required outlined in item 1 above for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

St. Ambrose University defines a semester credit (also known as a credit hour) as one 50-minute period per week for one semester (or its equivalent) with appropriate student work outside of the period. A semester at St. Ambrose University is defined as not less than 15 weeks. Courses offered in shorter timeframes or alternative formats must have an equivalent number of hours dedicated to instruction and student work as that spent in a semester-based class. An equivalent amount of work (a minimum of 37.5 hours per 1 credit hour) must be represented for credits assigned to experiential learning including 1) laboratory, 2) practica/field work/internships, 3) independent study, and 4) international travel. An equivalent amount of work (a minimum of three hours per week for a semester or its equivalent of combined direct instruction and outside of class student work) must be represented for a semester credit in other academic activities including accelerated format, distance education, and hybrid format courses.

Updated 8/27/2013

Double Degrees/Double Majors

Double Degrees Policy
A student can earn a double degree (e.g., BA vs. BS, BA vs. BED) only when the degrees are earned in different disciplines. A student whose first degree was earned from St. Ambrose University or another accredited college or university, must complete all requirements for the new degree with a minimum of 30 credits earned beyond those applied towards the previous degree (see residency rule).

Double Majors Policy
The purpose of a double major is to broaden a student's college education. When declaring more than one major, the student will designate one major as the primary major with the Office of the Registrar. This major determines the college within which the student is matriculating and the degree which will be conferred when all graduation requirements for the primary major have been met.

Additional criteria:

  • All admission and retention requirements for each of the declared majors must be met.
  • All graduation requirements for each major must be met when completing a double major. This includes pre-requisite courses specified by each major.
  • There must be at least 15 credits of unique and non-overlapping coursework in each major.
  • In departments that offer more than one degree option (i.e., BA vs BS, BA vs BED) in the same discipline, the student can complete only one of them.
  • A student may not pursue more than two majors concurrently without permission from the Registrar.

A Double Major differs from a Double Degree in that the student will only receive one diploma. The official transcript will note the degree with both majors listed.

Minor Policy
A Minor is defined as a coherent program of study which provides a student with knowledge of and competency in an area outside his/her major. Typically, a minor has less depth than a major, but it does expose the student to the foundational methods and areas of inquiry associated with a given discipline. Minors may be completed to complement, or as an addition to a major. A minor generally consists of 15 to 18 distinct credit hours. The curriculum and associated requirements for a minor are determined by the academic department offering the minor.

An interdisciplinary minor consists of coursework on a theme or issue that is particularly suited for investigation from a variety of disciplinary perspectives. (Examples include Environmental Studies, Justice and Peace, Pre-Law).

A major and a minor may not be taken in the same degree program (e.g., a student majoring in history may not complete a minor in history). A student must complete the requirements for the minor at the same time he/she is completing the bachelor's degree. Minor(s) will not be added retroactively to a student record after the major degree is conferred.

Concentration Policy
A Concentration is a coherent and specialized course of study within a student's major degree program. The academic department may determine if a given concentration is an optional or required component of the major. A concentration generally includes 12 to 15 credit hours of specialized coursework, and can only be earned as part of a major, not separate from one.

Certificate Policy
A Certificate is a course of study that provides specialty skills or competencies that lead to employment, post-employment credentialing, sustained employment, advancement or promotion in a recognized occupation. A Certificate can be earned separately from a major.

Updated 2/3/2016


What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, is a federal law that protects the confidentiality of student educational records. Under this act, the student has the right to access their educational records, the right to request corrections to these records, and the ability to limit disclosure of information from these records. A student's FERPA rights begin when they register at SAU, regardless of age. Finally, a student is eligible under FERPA to file a complaint with the Department of Education.

What is an Educational Record?

An educational record is just about any information provided by a student to the university for use in the educational process including:

  • Personal information
  • Enrollment records
  • Grades
  • Schedules

A student educational record may include but is not limited to a document in the Office of the Registrar, a computer printout in a faculty member's office, a computer display screen, or notes taken during an advisement session.

What is Directory Information?  

St. Ambrose University may disclose "directory information" on a student without violating FERPA. This information can be released or published without student's written consent.

The following is classified as directory information:  

  • Name
  • Telephone number
  • Local Address
  • Hometown
  • Enrollment status
  • Dates of attendance at SAU
  • Expected date of graduation
  • Awards and academic honors
  • SAU degree(s) and date(s) awarded
  • Academic program
  • Name(s) of advisor(s)
  • Full- or part-time status
  • Previous educational institutions attended
  • Mailing address
  • Gender
  • Date and place of birth
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Parents/Guardians names & addresses
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • University email address
  • Photograph(s) and/or video footage

The student can request this information be restricted by completing the Privacy Request form (pdf).

Disclosure of Educational Records

SAU will disclose information, outside of directory information, from a student's educational record only with the written consent of the student except in the following circumstances:

SAU officials with a "legitimate educational interest"  

  • A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, clerical, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a faculty member; a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent, or official of the National Student Clearinghouse); a person serving on the Board of Directors; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. 
    A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  • Authorized representatives of the US Dept. of Education or State educational authorities carrying out official duties
  • Persons in connection with the Financial Aid process
  • Accrediting agencies for accreditation purposes
  • Institutions MAY disclose educational records pursuant to lawfully issued subpoenas and court orders when a reasonable attempt is made to give the student prior notice. Prior notice is not required when the disclosure is made pursuant to a law enforcement subpoena or court order that specifies that the existence or contents of the subpoena or court order not be disclosed.
  • Appropriate individuals in connection with a serious health or safety emergency involving a student §  A court when the institution initiates legal action against a student (and gives the student prior notice of the intended disclosure) §  Institutions may disclose without consent information about certain disciplinary actions taken against students to other institutions
  • Solomon Amendment gives military service members assigned to recruiting branch of the DOD access to "student recruiting information"
  • Agencies needing information regarding F, J or M visas (non immigrant visa)
  • USA PATRIOT ACT of 2001  -- Section 507 of the USA PATRIOT ACT amends that an institution may disclose educational records related to an authorized investigation when the court has issued an ex parte order permitting the Attorney General (or designee) to collect, retain, disseminate, and use such information in connection with the investigation or prosecution.  The authorized investigation or prosecution must be an offense or act related to domestic or international terrorism.

Requests to disclose educational information will be handled with caution and approached on a case-by-case basis.

Procedure to Inspect Educational Records

Students may review their educational records upon request to the Registrar or Assistant Registrar. To assist us in better serving you, the student, please indicate the information you would like to inspect. Arrangements will be made to review these records within 45 days of the request.

If a record contains information about more than one student, the student may inspect only records that relate to himself/herself. The student has the right to inspect the record in question but the University does not routinely make copies of this information for students. Request for copies will be considered on an individual basis.

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a privacy law that applies to citizens of the European Union countries (EU) and to institutions who have a presence in or target their business with individuals in the EU. The GDPR provides requirements for the protection of personal data which is defined as any information about an identified or identifiable natural person.

Under the GDPR, EU students may submit to the Data Protection Officers a request for confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning them is being processed, where it is being processed, and for what purpose. EU students may request the Data Protection Officers to provide an electronic copy of personal data, free of charge; or may request personal data concerning them to be provided in a commonly used and machine-readable format; or may request personal data concerning them be transferred to another college or university. Students may also withdraw their consent for data gathered by the University and may submit to the Data Protection Officers a request the University erase their personal data, cease further dissemination of the data and request third parties halt processing of the data. Such requests will be analyzed pursuant to EU GDPR Article 17 for compliance with all necessary minimum requirements.

Data Protection Officers

Christopher Banfield
Director of Information Technology
St. Ambrose Library

Grading System


Letter GradeGrade Point Scale
A/A+ 4.0
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.0

During the academic years 1989-2013, the grading system was computed as follows: A=4.0, B+=3.5, B=3.0, C+=2.5, C=2.0, D=1.0, F=0

Prior to Fall 1989 the grading system was computed on a four-point scale as follows: A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0, F=0


Letter GradeGrade Point Scale
A 4.00
A- 3.75
B+ 3.50
B 3.00
B- 2.75
C+ 2.50
C 2.00
C- 1.75
D 1.00
F 0.00

Grade point is computed by counting all credits attempted under theA, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F grading system

Transcript Key – All Students

W = Withdrawal
I = Incomplete
X = Absent from final exam
AU = Audit
P = Pass
NP = No Pass
IP = In Progress work - for students in courses that are not expected to be completed within the normal semester (i.e. Internships)

Re-Admit Policy

Students who have left St. Ambrose University in good academic standing may be considered for re-admittance to the university by completing the Returning Student Form on the Return to St. Ambrose website.

In addition, students are required to provide transcripts from all schools they have attended since leaving SAU. A student's cumulative GPA from all schools they have attended since SAU must be at least a 2.0. Students who have left SAU not in good academic standing may be re-admitted under the Satisfactory Progress, Probation and Dismissal guidelines.

Student reapplications may also be subject to review by the Dean of Students office. Therefore, all re-admittance applications will be viewed as a request for reinstatement and not a guarantee that the decision will be approved.

Readmission for service members and family members due to military service: St. Ambrose University will promptly readmit a service member with the same academic status as they had when last attending this university or were accepted for admission to this institution. This requirement applies to any student who cannot attend school due military service.

Readmission Application

Updated 10/15/2013

Reverse Credit Transfer

What is Reverse Credit Transfer?
Sometimes it's in a student's best interest to transfer to SAU and complete the requirements for an AA or AS degree while taking classes here. Students may "reverse transfer" their credit hours and earn their degree from a community college.

The Reverse Credit Transfer program allows your coursework to automatically be sent to the community college you designate for the purposes of completing your degree or other certification. To qualify, transfer students need to have earned 45 or more semester credit hours from the community college they most recently attended prior to enrolling at SAU. Students opt into Reverse Credit Transfer program when they complete the request form.

Complete the Reverse Credit Transfer online form

What are the Benefits of this Program?
Benefits include:

  • The associate degree earned provides acknowledgement of skills that are recognized in today's world. Further, it recognizes the achievement of a solid liberal arts foundation.
  • Earning this associate degree may qualify you for transfer agreement benefits.
  • Data supports a higher probability of completing your bachelor's degree.

How does Reverse Credit Transfer work?
By completing the information on the request form, the student gives the Office of the Registrar permission to send their transcript (at no cost to the student) to the community college. The community college will then evaluate this coursework to determine if degree, diploma/certificate, and residency requirements are satisfied.

Therefore, it is important for students to work closely with their community college advisor to determine which courses are needed to complete an associate degree.

Questions? Contact registrar@sau.edu or visit the Transfer Admissions page.

Updated 4/27/2022

Satisfactory Progress, Probation, and Dismissal

Satisfactory Progress, Probation and Dismissal  All undergraduate students are expected to maintain satisfactory progress toward a degree. 

Satisfactory progress is defined by the following scale:

First-year students  1.70 (0-15 credits)  1.80 (16-30 credits) 
Second-year students  1.90 (31-45 credits)  2.00 (46-60 credits) 
Third-year students  2.00 (61-75 credits)  2.00 (76-90 credits) 
Fourth-year students  2.00 (91-105 credits)  2.00 (106-120 credits) 

Students whose academic performance falls below these standards will be reviewed at the end of each semester by the Board of Studies, which may recommend probation or dismissal. Probation is a proving period during which a student's continuance at St. Ambrose is in jeopardy. While on probation, students are limited to 13 credits per semester, with allowances made to take as many as 15 credits with the support of the student's academic advisor.

Generally, a full-time student will only be allowed to remain on probation for two consecutive semesters and will either have the designation removed (if they have made satisfactory progress toward their degree) or will be dismissed. Students whose progress is notably poor may be dismissed without being placed on probation.

A student who has been academically dismissed may be considered for readmission after one full semester has passed. A summer session does not constitute a full semester. New students who are accepted with "Provisional Admission" are considered to be on probation during their first semester at St. Ambrose.

Students may appeal an action taken by the Board of Studies. Students have the right to represent themselves and their petition, though may choose to make their case through the written petition only. In either case, a completed petition must be submitted.

Appeals must be initiated through consultation with the Registrar and follow the procedure outlined below:

  • Step 1: Obtain petition from the Registrar.
  • Step 2: Fill out the petition completely.
  • Step 3: Submit petition to an academic advisor for comments and signature. In cases where an advisor is not known or may not be in a position to comment, Registrar may authorize the petition.
  • Step 4: Submit petition to Registrar for scheduling at the next meeting of the Board of Studies.

Grades that you earned at other college and universities may be considered for admittance to the university and specific academic programs, but your SAU cumulative grade point average is based solely upon course work taken at St. Ambrose University. The SAU cumulative GPA will be reported on the transcript and will be used to determine academic sanctions, graduation honors, etc.

Updated 4/20/2016  

Second Grade Option or Retaking a Course

Retaking a Course
Courses which are retaken to demonstrate additional proficiency in a content area will not be counted toward the 120 semester credits required for graduation if prior credit has been awarded for the same course. The grades for both courses will be used in computing the cumulative grade-point average unless the student meets the criteria for the Second Grade Option (See below).

Second-Grade Option
A student may repeat a course taken at St. Ambrose University, unless obvious regression is involved, and have only the grade and credit of the second registration used in calculating total hours earned as well as SAU cumulative grade-point average.

Under the provisions of this option, the Office of the Registrar will mark the permanent record to show that a particular course has been repeated. Students who wish to use this option should register in the usual manner for the course. Once the course has been completed and a grade received, the initial course grade will remain on the permanent record, but only the most recent course will be used in calculating the grade-point average and hours earned.

1. The second-grade option may be used only once per course.
2. If the course was taken for a grade the first time, it must be taken for a grade the second time.
3. If the course was taken pass/no pass the first time, it may be taken pass/no pass or for a grade the second time.
4. The second-grade option may not be used if the first grade was assigned as a result of disciplinary action.
5. The second-grade option may be used in no more than four courses or no more than 12 semester credits.
6. The second-grade option may be used only for courses taken and repeated at St. Ambrose.
7. The second-grade option may not be used for classes in which higher level classwork in that subject area has been completed. (Regression)

Last Updated: 2/3/2016

Step Out Policy

Students who will not be enrolling at the university in an upcoming semester may consider the step out option.

A step out is noted when a student who is temporarily leaving the university notifies the Office of the Registrar of an expected return date within one year of the last class attended*. Individuals taking the step out option are not regarded as having permanently withdrawn from the university and not required to apply for readmission.

Students pursuing this option should contact an academic advisor prior to the semester the leave is to begin**. Additionally, they should file a Decline Enrollment form, noting their intent to re-enroll within one calendar year or less. Students who are enrolled in programs with specialized accreditation must consult with their program directors for additional requirements. Individuals must have at least a 2.0 SAU GPA to be eligible for the policy. A student academically dismissed or on academic probation cannot utilize this policy.     

*Students who exceed the absence period of one year are required to complete the re-admission process with the Office of Admissions. This policy is intended for undergraduate students. Graduate students should contact their academic program for guidance.     

**A "step out" is not an official leave of absence. Students who step out in the middle of an academic term are required to repeat the term and/or courses as required for the degree program upon return.

Updated: 8/17/2021

Transfer Work

If you already have completed some post-secondary studies, your credits will transfer to St. Ambrose University according to the following policies:

  • As long as you meet the residency requirements, you can earn up to 64 semester colleges. Quarter units will be converted into semester units. Students may take courses at a two year college regardless of academic standing, e.g., a senior could take a lower level course at a community college. Credit for college-level work is granted in all areas that correspond to courses offered at St. Ambrose University with a grade of a "C" or better. (*Pass grades are not accepted unless evidence can be provided that the grade would have been a C or better.) Courses that transfer as a 300-level course from two-year institutions may be used to fulfill major requirements but will not count in the 300-level requirements. The individual departments at St. Ambrose University determine whether a transferred course may be substituted for a major requirement. Grades that you earned at other college and universities may be considered for admittance to the university and specific academic programs, but your SAU cumulative grade point average is based solely upon course work taken at St. Ambrose University. The SAU cumulative GPA will be reported on the transcript and will be used to determine graduation honors.
  • If you have graduated from a two-year regionally accredited college with a 2.00 grade average, your Associate in Arts Degree or Associate in Science Degree will be accepted at St. Ambrose University as fulfilling 64 semester credits of baccalaureate requirements, and you will be given Junior status. You are still required to meet degree and residency requirements. The residency requirement is "the last 30 hours or 45 out of the last 60 credits to be taken at SAU."
  • If you have earned 64 semester credits from a two-year college, you may still take additional courses to complete a lower level general education requirement, but the hours will not count toward your degree. Transfer credits to be applied toward General Education must meet the requirements listed in the catalog under General Education Degree Requirements.
  • Credits from other colleges may be transferable in whole or in part, and are evaluated on a course by course basis. Likewise, courses successfully completed through the United States Armed Forces may be transferable and applicable to a bachelor's degree at St. Ambrose University.
  • A maximum of 90 semester credits may be applied to degree requirements from a combination of 2-year institutions, 4-year institutions, credit by exams, military credit, and experiential learning credits.

Last Updated: 7/17/2017

Transfer Work FAQ

Q: What courses will be accepted as transfer credit?
A: Generally, college-level courses completed at regionally-accredited institutions will transfer, provided the course is similar in scope, content, and level to courses offered at SAU and a grade of "C" or higher is earned.

A maximum of 64 credits from 2-year institutions can be applied to degree requirements at SAU. No more than 90 credits can be applied to degree requirements from a combination of 2-year institutions, 4-year institutions, credit by exams, military credit, and experiential learning credits. Students are required to complete at least their final 30 credits or 45 of the last 60 semester hours to earn a degree from St. Ambrose University

Q: Do my grades transfer?
A: Although your grades from transfer courses are used in making decisions for admission to the University, entry into specific academic programs, and for satisfying degree requirements, grades from transfer courses are not used in the calculation of your SAU Cumulative GPA. The transfer courses SAU accepted and applied toward your degree requirements will appear on your official transcript, but the grades you received in these courses will not.

Q: Can I get credit for courses that were taken Pass/Fail status?
A: SAU will award credit when it can be determined that the grade earned is equivalent to at least a "C" grade or higher.

Q: What if the course at my previous institution(s) is more or fewer credits than the equivalent course at SAU?
A: The semester credit hours earned at your transfer institution are the number of credits you will receive at SAU. If you took a 4-credit sociology course that equates to our SOC 101 which is a 3-credit hour class here, you will receive 4 credits for this course. We do however convert quarter units into semester hour units.

Q: Can I repeat a class completed at SAU elsewhere to improve my GPA?
A: No. The transfer grade will not impact your SAU Cumulative GPA and no additional credit will be awarded as credit has already been earned for the class at SAU. A student does have the option of retaking a course at SAU utilizing the Second Grade Option as noted on the Office of the Registrar website.

Q: Can I take a course(s) back at my hometown community college over the summer?
A: SAU students should discuss the pros/cons of taking classes over the summer with their academic advisor. For additional information regarding equivalent coursework, visit the Transfer Course Equivalency page on the Office of the Registrar website.

Last Updated: 7/17/2017

University Grade Appeal

When a student believes a final course grade has been assigned in error or in an arbitrary or capricious manner, he/she has the right to appeal the grade. The student should first attempt to resolve the matter with the primary course instructor. If the grade dispute is not resolved at this level, the student may initiate a formal written appeal to the department Chair. A final appeal can be made to the Dean of the College that oversees the appropriate department or, when a department Chair or Dean is the instructor involved in the appeal, to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Actions Permitted:
1. Students may only appeal the final course grade. Individual assignment grades (exams, quizzes, etc.) should be discussed and resolved with the Instructor throughout the semester.
2. All recognized appeals by students and instructors should be written and delivered to the appropriate individual (Instructor, Chair, or Dean) either electronically in email format to the appropriate individual's email address at the University, or by hard copy delivered personally to the
appropriate individual. The individual appealing is responsible for assuring and establishing the delivery and receipt of a timely appeal.
3. No one may substitute personal judgment for that of the Instructor in regard to the quality of the student's work; therefore, the student must show evidence of any deviation from an established procedure that adversely affects the student in the assignment of the letter grade for the course.
4. Decisions at the Chair level or higher can include either denial of the appeal or upholding the appeal, at which point the final course grade will be changed. The University does not have any liability for any impact to the student for the time period preceding any change to the final course grade in the University's Records & Registration Office.

Procedures and Timeline:
1. Students must first attempt to resolve the grading issue with the Instructor.

2. If the student decides to formally appeal the final grade, he/she must provide a written appeal, including the justification for the appeal, to the Instructor. If the Instructor is no longer employed by the University, the student must provide the written appeal directly to the Department Chair.

TIMELINE: The appeal must be submitted by the student to the Instructor (or Department Chair if applicable) in electronic email format to the individual's University email address, or by personal delivery of a hard copy of the written appeal within 1 week from the grade submission due date posted by the University's Records and Registration Office.

3. Instructor should notify the student upon receipt of the appeal, but the student is responsible for assuring the receipt of the appeal. If the Instructor cannot be contacted, the student should notify the department Chair of his/her appeal and request assistance in contacting the Instructor.

4. Instructors will e-mail or mail a written decision to the student within 1 week of receiving the appeal. If the Instructor fails to provide a decision within 1 week, the student should notify the department Chair to intervene in obtaining the decision or furthering the appeal.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week from receipt of the appeal

5. After receiving the Instructor's decision, the student may appeal the final grade, in writing, to the Department Chair. It is the student's responsibility to provide evidence to support the appeal. The Chair will investigate the appeal. The investigation will include discussing the matter with the Instructor and may include requesting the Instructor to support the accuracy and fairness of his/her grading. The student's written appeal constitutes authorization for the Chair to have access to the student's educational files and grades pertaining to the appeal.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week after receiving the Instructor's decision

6. The Chair will render a decision on the appeal and provide the decision to the student and the Instructor.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week from receipt of the appeal

7. If the Chair's decision is to deny the appeal, the student may appeal the grade, in writing, to the Dean. The student may also elect to meet with the Dean to present information directly related to the appeal.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week after receiving the Chair's decision

8. The Dean will provide a final decision to the student, Instructor, and Chair.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week from receipt of the appeal

9. If the Chair's decision is to grant the appeal, the Instructor may appeal, in writing, to the Dean. The Instructor may meet with the Dean to present information directly related to the appeal.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week after receiving the Chair's decision

10. The Dean will provide a final decision to all parties.

TIMELINE: Within 1 week from receipt of the Instructor's appeal

11. If the decision is to change a student's final grade, the change will be communicated to the University's Records and Registration Office.

1. If the Department Chair is the Instructor involved in the appeal, the appeal goes directly to the Dean and then to the Vice President of Academic Affairs for the final decision.
2. If the Dean is the Instructor involved in the appeal, the appeal goes to the Chair and then to the Vice President of Academic Affairs for the final decision.
3. Timelines may be extended by the Chair or the Dean if necessary evidence or individuals are not available, or if the University determines that additional time is necessary to process the appeal. No exceptions or extensions of time will be granted for students to initiate a grade appeal.

Withdrawal (Official) from the University

Official withdrawal from the university during the semester is arranged with the appropriate college dean or the registrar with the student completing the Official Withdrawal form before leaving campus. Official withdrawal ensures that all records properly reflect such action.

Students officially withdrawing from the University will have "Officially Withdrew" appended to their permanent records in addition to the "W" grades in the courses from which they withdrew.

Students who leave unofficially will receive F grades in all classes listed on the official registration.

Additional information regarding financial aid impact and tuition refund policy can be found on the Financial Aid policies page.

Last Updated: 12/15/2014


Office of the Registrar
Ambrose Hall, 1st floor
518 W. Locust St.
Davenport, IA 52803
Fax 563-333-6206

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? Click on the visit button below to learn more about our virtual and in-person visit options.